Monday, August 27, 2012

A taste for Ireland


The tickets are purchased. Leah and I are going to Ireland for our honeymoon, for an entire week. That is more time off together than we have had in a very long time, if ever. Needless to say, we are very, VERY, excited. Our excitement must be infectious as everyone we have told about the honeymoon so far has gotten very jazzed, jealous or both. More than a few people have told us that a week just isn't enough time to do anywhere properly, but I am pretty sure that by the end of the week both Leah and I will be ready to get back to our lives.

In preparation for our trip I purchased The Cliff House Hotel Cookbook. It is great! The Cliff House Hotel Restaurant is the highest Michelin rated restaurant in Ireland, holding two stars, and, incidentally, because of this book we plan on eating there.

 It is easy for me to get behind a book that espouses the merits of local produce and meats, but beyond that the book's recipes are very compelling. I ended up actually trying out a recipe from the book, the mustard ice cream, which didn't quite turn out for me. It easily chalks up to the mustard I used, and with a bit more mustard testing I am sure it will be a fantastic frozen treat. This is a good one for those fine dining cooks out there looking for a new perspective.

On a tenuously related note, I made some more sorbet! Using a variation on Alton Brown's Melon Sorbet recipe, I made just over two gallons of watermelon sorbet. It is so good! Like stupidly good.

Like I said, I touched up this recipe to my own liking and to keep my food processor from spitting juice all over the kitchen:
10 oz melon, cut into small pieces
4 oz sugar (I also swapped the white sugar for brown on the last pint, good idea)
3/4 oz Apple cider vinegar
1/2 oz vodka (which was swapped for kraken rum on the last pint, another good idea)

-Place all ingredients into the bowl of a food processor and spin until smooth.
-Pass your slurry through a strainer to get the seeds out and then spin in your ice cream maker.
-Freeze in your ice box for a couple hours before you dive in.  The ice will harden and provide a much better texture.

I'll have pictures of it later... This batch has all been eaten.

Notes:
- It seems like summer is over, thank goodness!
- Secret side project commences in two weeks... Get excited.
- Leah and I now have two cats! So cute!

4 comments:

  1. IRELAND! SORBET! AWESOME! You guys will have a wonderful time. And maybe you'll take a few notes for the rest of us on good spots to eat/drink? Hope your'e having a good week, Ryan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! I might even keep a running journal of our trip :) Things are shaping up to be pretty great this week, hope the same is true for you Megan!

      Delete
  2. 1. Mustard ice cream is just wrong, wrong, wrong.
    2. Ditto cheering for summer to be over.
    3. Cats? Melon sorbet?? We'll be right over. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 1. With a little tweaking the mustard ice cream will be delicious!
      2. Seriously! It is great! Back to those nice 70 degree days :)
      3. Please come on over! Although the two gallons of sorbet is really truly all gone :(

      Delete